Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Papa Pepper

When I was visiting home last week my Daddy printed this recipe and told me he would love to see it on my blog. I am always up for a recipe suggestion and this one looked delicious. I love Greek flavors and I adjusted the ingredients to my liking.

I also should give Forrest some credit for this meal. He prepped all the ingredients and cooked the peppers and the orzo before I got home from work. Thanks F!

Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from delish.com

Ingredients
  • 3 yellow, orange, and/or red bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup(s) whole-wheat orzo
  • 1 can(s) artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 ounce(s) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregeno
  • 3/4 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup(s) sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), chopped
  • 1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions

1. Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached.

Remove the seeds and white membrane.

Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover with cling wrap, cut slits in wrap to vent,

and microwave on high until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain, and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.

3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach

and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.

Then stir in orzo, 1/2 cup feta, vinegar, and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute.

Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's ironic that I was served Greek last night. These look mouthwatering delicious. So THAT's what the weird oil filter changing looking tool is really for! Special thanks to your sweet Daddy for suggesting this recipe.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

DAMN these look so great and your step by step photos are wonderful!!!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

YUM! These look yummy!

Crafty P said...

those look fabulous! I'm linking to you today!

Tae Young said...

this is quite honestly the cutest blog i've ever read.

MaryBeth said...

Your peppers look so bright and colorful, I used peppers last night to house my homemade refried bean chili..Looks great Elizabeth!!